Saturday, October 5, 2013

Thirst

Before I get into the meat of what I want to say tonight, congratulations to my good friend and brother in Christ Seth on getting a nice prize only hours into the season. But now onto more important things. So in last nights post I talk about keeping a focus on God rather than on life's problems and the God solution to meeting the need. But I began to think what exactly do I mean when I say the person needs to focus on God. This is also something I have been thinking about as I have prepared this week to teach in my church family. What do we mean when we say focus on God. I have come to find what I believe is the clearest picture of focusing on God. It is the first 8 verses of Psalms 63. And here it is

O God, you are my God;
I earnestly search for you.
My soul thirsts for you;
my whole body longs for you
in this parched and weary land
where there is no water.
     I have seen you in your sanctuary
and gazed upon your power and glory.
     Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
how I praise you!
     I will praise you as long as I live,
lifting up my hands to you in prayer.
     You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
I will praise you with songs of joy.
     I lie awake thinking of you,
meditating on you through the night.
     Because you are my helper,
I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.
     I cling to you;
your strong right hand holds me securely.


I began to read this verse every day in preparation for understanding what it means to focus on God or even better to know God. I believe these verse are the perfect picture in the life that know's God and is continually seeking after Him. To focus on God is to know Him, have a relationship with Him, seek after Him, and ultimately have Him as the greatest treasure in our life. I pray that I can say truly that God is my greatest joy and treasure and that I can echo what the writer of this Psalm is expressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment