Sunday, October 13, 2013

Practical cont.

Before I begin, I would ask anyone who actually reads this to please pray for me on Thursday afternoon, I have my 1st Master's exam. And on that note, as I was studying today, God kindly reminded me that right now that is my ministry and that should come second to my wife, which has been a focus of my rants the last few days. I pray that today my wife realized that she will always come after God in my life but before everything else, even a hard test this week.

But I wanted to write today about another way practically that I can show my wife she is first to me in front of my ministry (even if my ministry right now is Lowes). Today's practical advice, which I also believe should be for every husband for their wife even those not in formal ministry, is to make sure she knows she is your greatest earthly treasure. I have been convinced that my great treasure chest of joy in life is my relationship with God. But as I open that treasure chest of pleasure in God, I have found a small jewelry box called my better half, my bride, my beauty, and my soul mate. I must treasure this jewelry box with all my life and she must know that she is this great treasure and prize. And I have discovered a few practical ways in letting her know.

First, I must affirm her ministry and service for God. I must take time to let her know that she is a great servant for God in her passion and calling for God. I must encourage her and support her in the areas she enjoys God. I must not make her feel like MY ministry is more important and that I am a better servant. Because that is a false and prideful way of making her feel not treasured. I must make sure she know that she is God's greatest gift to me and my ministry but also a gift in her own way in her service to God.

A second way I can let her know she is my greatest treasure is by taking time off just for her. She must see practically and visibly that she comes first. How this looks can vary. I have learned that it could be a special lunch one day or a time away from everything, even my ministry and reading, just for her. She must see her place and hear from my mouth that it is true. She must feel treasured by my time. I can buy her or praise her all the time but my time is the greatest way I can show her she is treasured.

And finally a third way to make sure she knows she is treasured is by diving into her world. I must get to know her. I must find her passions, desires, heart joys and heart aches, and I must know what burdens her. I must discover how she finds joy in Jesus and what drives her to serve God joyfully and not dutifully. Knowing all of this will help me better meet her needs on her terms. That is what will help her see she is treasured, meeting her on her terms and not on my terms. That is true love and a perfect way in making sure she is treasured.

These are just a few ways that I have found in making sure my love of my life knows she comes first next to any ministry or job. I will be the first to admit, I wrote all this but I have a long way to go to meet and do everything I just typed. I pray by the grace of God I can grow into the man I just wrote about.

No comments:

Post a Comment