Saturday, May 31, 2014

More of John 10:16

John 10:16
"And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd."

So I have been thinking over this verse the last day or so. A few days ago, I looked at the first sentence and a couple of truths I understand from it. "I must bring them also" is what I would like to ponder a little bit now.

The first word is huge in this sentence, I. This means that Jesus is the one who brings in the outside sheep. As we looked at yesterday, there are individuals outside of the fold that Jesus calls sheep. But now Jesus, the shepherd must bring them in. Jesus must bring them in. That means the work of missions or bringing in others to the fold is Jesus job. That struck me in a big way when I started to think about it. I always thought missions was my job. But it is not, it is Jesus job to bring in the others. Jesus must bring them in. When I am talking to others about Jesus and bringing others into the fold, I am working for Jesus. I knew this but I forgot it is Jesus job. Jesus says I must bring them in. Do not forget it is Jesus job and when we help Jesus.

The second word in the clause, "I must bring them also", is must. Jesus must bring them in. Jesus is commanded to bring others into the fold. This is not optional. Must is a strong commanding word and action that will take place. Jesus MUST bring in others. What does that look like? Bringing in others to the fold must take place, by Jesus.

Both of these words say to me that, as an image bearer of Jesus now on the earth I am commanded to bring others in. When the world sees Jesus, they see Him through his sheep, which is me. That means I am what the world will see as Jesus, "I must bring them also". That means it is up to me to bring others into the fold with me and I do not have a choice. I do not have a choice to tell others about my Shepherd, my Savior. I do not have a choice to show in action who my protective Shepherd is. I must bring them also.

When was the last time you said to yourself, I must bring others into the fold with me, because Jesus must bring others in.

No comments:

Post a Comment