Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How do we serve?

So what was wrong with Martha's heart and issue from Luke 10? I do not believe she was sinning but she was rather serving out of the wrong motive and heart. Martha's relationship with Jesus in this story was about the service not the pleasure of the relationship. And I find that is where I am a lot of the time. Do I teach because I find pleasure in enjoying God or because I am doing His service? Do I tell others about My Jesus and what He can do because I find joy in that relationship that I cannot contain or because I find it a duty? I truly believe that the relationship with Jesus should stem everything else. My relationship with Jesus, the pleasure, joy, and excitement that this brings should stem the service. This was Martha's issue. After Jesus was done teaching, I can imagine that Mary would then love Jesus and enjoy Him by helping serve Him with her sister. But in the moment the more important task was enjoying the relationship with Jesus. The relationship should drive the service. That is the heart issue, service being driven by pleasure in the relationship rather than service out of duty. Next time I find my service for God to be draining or frustrating, I should check my relationship with God and see if that needs fixed first. When my service becomes anxious and stressful, I should check my pleasure and joy in God. My service should be like Mary, driven by my love and pleasure in God, not the reversal of serving to find love and pleasure. Thanks to Mary and Martha I need to find what is important before I begin my service.


B.    Where geographically did the following events take place?
11.    God gave Moses the Ten Commandments?- Mt Sinai
12.    A silversmith caused a riot?- Ephesus
13.    Elijah had a confrontation with the prophets of Baal?- Mt. Carmel
14.    Believers were first called “Christians”?- Antioch
15.    The river Jesus was baptized in?- Jordan
16.    The walls of the city collapsed after the Israelites marched around it?- Jericho
17.    Jesus walked on water?- Lake Galilee
18.    The place where Jonah was supposed to be going when he fled to Tarshish?- Nineveh
19.    The place where Paul was heading when he was blinded on the road?- Damascus
20.    The river Ezekiel was at with the exiles when he received a vision from God?- Kebar River

No comments:

Post a Comment