Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Purity and Seperation

I read 5 more chapters today from Leviticus 11-15. First let me say Yuck. The section of skin defilements and bodily discharges gives me the shivers. But these 5 chapters are a huge part of the theme of the book; purity and separation. Leviticus 11:44 states, "I am the LORD your God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy." God wanted to separate His people from the rest of the people from the earth. God was telling them, "I am separate from you, so you need to be separate from others. Do these things with purity and cleanness and this will separate you from others".

We in the church today, who call the LORD our God, also need to be separate. Now I am not saying that you cannot eat a pig or that you must go to your Pastor for skin check. But what I am saying is, does your life reflect the fact that you are one of the LORD's children and separate and holy from the rest of the unbelievers on the earth. Let me give you some questions that you can ask yourself to know if you are truly separated and holy before the LORD and different than those in this world.

Does your language stand out compared to others?
Do you have worldly habits?
Do others know by word AND deed that you truly love Jesus first?
Is your week organized and scheduled around gathering in church to worship God?
Do you honor the authority God has placed in your life?
Are you full of joy in all circumstances?
How much do you yell in anger at others?
Are you equipping others in your life to serve Jesus also?
Do you desire and hunger for the Word of God?
What makes you happy?

These are some questions that have helped me identify how my holiness, purity, and separation from the world is. Let me just add, when I mean separation, I mean separation like Jesus. Jesus lived in the world. Jesus loved others including the lost. Jesus reached out and touched the world spiritually and physically. But Jesus life and actions were separated from the world and He influenced them, not the other way around.

Do you influence the world by your holiness or does the world contaminate you?

No comments:

Post a Comment