Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Out with the Old in with the New

I can get some serious heart burn if I do not pay attention. I discovered this a few years ago while I was eating a large pizza, drink a gallon of tea, and watching a football game on the couch. I could not sleep that night as the burn kicked in and I got some serious stomach pain and even lost some of my voice the next day. So I know now that I have to watch what I eat, how much of some things I eat, and the fact that if I do not take care of myself, the heart burn kicks in and the Tums tablets struggle to help me feel good.

As I have been reading through the Torah to start the calendar year and specifically the Old Covenant from Exodus through Deuteronomy, I have been thinking about my hear burn. My hear burn is like my sin. I love pizza and Turkey Hill tea. Just like I love the world and the stuff of the world. But getting pizza and tea inside me creates bad feelings and pain deep within. The world takes my already sin nature and does the same thing. The world stirs my sin and makes it much worse to the point I feel guilt, remorse, and even sorrow over the sin I commit against God and others. So the heart burn is like my sin.

The Tums tablets are like the Old Covenant. The tums give me temporary relief. The tums mask the true problem and calm my stomach down for a little. The tums do not fix the problem they just help alleviate it for a few hours. The Old Covenant is the same way. It was temporary relief for the people. It gave them a break from the wrath of God because the animals took it. The Old Covenant masked the problem and truly did not fix the sin issue to the core.

So for me to truly fix my heart burn and be healthy, I need to make a diet and lifestyle change. I need to stop eating greasy and spicy food. I need to get more sleep and stop drinking so much tea and coffee. This would all be a lifestyle change that would fix my hear burn permanently (unless I reverted back to pizza and tea). This life style change is like the New Covenant. The New covenant with Jesus fixes the sin problem. The New Covenant circumcises our hearts and gives us a new nature that does not like to sin or enjoy the sinful world. The New Covenant is the permanent fix to the problem that Tums or Old Covenant could not fix. The New Covenant is so much better and I am so blessed to be a recipient of the New Covenant.

Are you grateful for the New Covenant in Jesus and does your life show this life style change?

No comments:

Post a Comment