Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Essentials

This week I have been confronted several times by the idea of the essentials of the Christian faith. It was brought up twice in different conversations with my fellow believers at work, they were discussed at my Wednesday night Bible study, and finally as I have started to preach at another church and possibly follow God if He leads and guides me to this exciting ministry opportunity, the thoughts about the essentials verses what can be disagreed upon was running through my mind.

First when I say essentials of my Christian faith I mean things or more importantly truths that are level one or most important truths that cannot be disagreed upon or else we have a problem. When I think of essentials I think of Biblical truths and foundations to my faith that I would not be willing to disagree with you on and still fellowship together. To say it metaphorically, these truths are hills that I would die on in defense of.

So as I have been thinking of the essentials I decided I would come up with a list of the truths or doctrines that I call essentials and then it would show me what I view as non-essentials so that I can understand what I can disagree on and fellowship still with that friend and brother in Jesus. So here is my list of essentials truths that I must defend at all cost.

Who God is
He has spoken (Bible)
The Fall/Original Sin
The incarnation/His birth
The Cross and the atoning death of Christ
The bodily resurrection
The nature of God and His sovereignty
The Trinity
Justification by Faith/Our conversion
Forgiveness/Reconciliation/Repentance
The Church
Sanctification/Holiness
Dignity of Human Life
The return of Jesus

If you would disagree with my list or want to add something let me know because I would love to talk this list over with you. I find all of these truths in the Bible and not to much else more that is clearly defined and can be clearly defended. Everything else not on this list I find to be non-essential, which is topics like election, worship, baptism, and End times stuff. What is your stand on the essentials and what is your position with the truths on my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment