Monday, March 10, 2014

The Essentials Part Deux

The post from this past Sunday, I listed what the essential doctrines of the Christian faith are and tried to explain why the essential doctrines exist. In case you missed it, the essential doctrines are the truths of the faith that are so important and the foundation of the gospel that to disagree on them, the persons should and could not call themselves a Christian or a friend of Jesus.

What I want to do tonight is revisit the list of essential truths and explain in a sentence or two why that truth is foundational and of utmost importance to Christianity. Again I am trying to explain the importance of it to show that when I disagree with that person on that doctrine, I can love them, but I must love them like someone of the world and not a brother in Christ. These truths are that important and essential to my faith and to the faith of anyone who claims they love Jesus.

Here is the list again with my explanations following the truth.

Who God is- I f we disagree on who God is then all is lost. God is the creator, holder, and sovereign Lord of all life and it is only through His plan and great design that anything else exist, including the Gospel

He has spoken (Bible)- God speaks to us the most, the clearest, and with the most love through His written word, so to disagree on the Bible and the fact God speaks to us through that would be a BIG problem.

The Fall/Original Sin- We need God and Jesus because of our state of sin and spiritual death. If we did not or do not sin then we never needed God and the rest of the gospel is lost.

The incarnation/His birth- If Jesus was not fully God AND fully man, He could never die and take my place and most importantly pay my price for my redemption. He had to live a full life from birth until death as a perfect person and then be the perfect Substitute.

The Cross and the atoning death of Christ- The cross is the crux of the Gospel, without it we have not salvation and and no hope. The cross is the most important act of love ever to exist.

The bodily resurrection- This truth is what gives us hope in life eternal because NOW death has been conquered and I to will be raised one day with Jesus.

The nature of God and His sovereignty- God must be in complete control and have the perfect plan for this world and my life or else Satan could beat Him and then all hope is lost and I have reason to have faith.

The Trinity- The Bible says God is a mystery and this doctrine proves it. But the Bible is clear God is a relational Being. The Bible is also clear in the fact God is a Triune Being and each person serves a part in the Gospel.

Justification by Faith/Our conversion- We better not have to work for our salvation because there is not way in myself I can get to God by my works. Will expand more on this in a little.

Forgiveness/Reconciliation/Repentance- The Christian faith is about being reconciled to God through Jesus and the being reconciled to each other by love for neighbor and a personal brokenness. The Christian life is about daily repentance and admitting we need Jesus everyday as a present salvation.

The Church- Jesus died for His church, God called the church to be his family, and the Holy Spirit leads the church as a faith, encouraging, loving, and missional family designed for discipleship.

Sanctification/Holiness- God calls us to a life of holiness and to grow and mature every day. Yes we sin but after we except Jesus as our Savior, our love for Him better drive us to action and grow in obedience.

Dignity of Human Life- We are created in the image of God and bear His image to the world. We are each uniquely designed by God.

The return of Jesus- Jesus is coming back for His bride, riding on the great white horse. The Bible is clear about this and it gives me a daily hope and anticipation.

So these are the essentials of my faith and these are the hills I will die on and fight for. Jesus is my Lord and these are the truths that flow out of that statement. I pray that you can agree and will be encouraged as you think about these theological truths.

No comments:

Post a Comment