Saturday, December 7, 2013

Advent #7- The first Christmas

Thinking over the last 10 great years of marriage I can say without a doubt my Christmas mindset and understanding changed forever. My wife loves Christmas and has the spirit of the season in her heart all year round. She puts her heart and soul into the celebration of Jesus birth. Since we have been married we have started new traditions as a family and I have watch more Christmas movies and different versions of the carols than I ever knew existed. Just this weekend away we have watched I think maybe a dozen different movies.

Christmas changed because I never realized the joy that my kids would bring to the season. Watching them open their gifts and the joy in their faces as we sit around as a family and celebrate the season is a treasure that I will never forget. Staying up all night on Christmas eve building their gifts.  Even watching them as babies play with the boxes rather than the gift is wonderful and a blessing to me.

But I will never forget my first Christmas with the love of my life. It started to snow on Christmas eve to the point where I ran over a stop sign with her car on the way back to her parents house from a party. Then my car got stuck in her parents driveway and we had to drive her car to my parents house. That night while sleeping in my sleeping bag in front of the fire a spark flew out and burned right threw my bag and into my leg, waking me up.  Then on Christmas day I spent at least 2 hours in the car with my sister-in-law to be and her husband listening to Christmas in the Caribbean because it had snowed so much we could not drive her car. But through all of that I realized from that year on how my Christmas season would never be the same.

And the biggest thing I realized is that my Christmas season would never be the same because of others in my life. That is the reason for the season, others and bringing joy and blessings into their season. Jesus came to bring us joy and blessings with His life and that season I realized that that is what my Christmas season should be about from then on. Do for others what Jesus did for me. Make others more important than myself and bless others through my life. So honey, turn on the next Christmas movie and lets cozy up and watch it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment