Friday, January 16, 2015

Reading Genesis 45-47

In the daily walk devotional today the word Sovereignty is talked about. This is a big word, with a simple meaning, that has an amazing picture that is connected to a comforting word. The daily walk asks us to make our own definition of Sovereignty, so let me explain what I mean in the sentence above by giving you my definition first.

First, I define sovereignty as: God exercising His perfect total power over His creation showing His rule and reign over all that He has created, including me and my "small time" events and circumstances. Yes this is a wordy definition but sovereignty is a big word that can have complexity to it but it does have a simple meaning.

Second, the simple meaning is basically: God has totally control with perfect power. Wow, this simple meaning then taken out of my bigger definition has some clarity to it. But this simple definition totally separates God from His creation and everything in it. This then is an amazing picture.

Third, this amazing picture shows that God is the controlling factor in everything not man. God is above, beyond, and totally separated from the creation that He controls and shows His power in. That means we as humans, though we think we do, do not control very much of anything. God has complete control and in His power controls all circumstances, even to the simplest action like the falling of a snowflake. This then is connected to a very comforting and encouraging words called, God's decrees.

I define God's decrees as: the eternal plans of God so that, before the creation of the universe, He determined to bring about everything that happens. That not only means that God controls everything perfectly, but He has a plan and design for everything perfectly in a perfect way. That should give us great comfort in the fact that nothing, every, happens by chance and is everything ever is dictated and controlled by God in His plan before the creation of the universe. That means before Creation, God planned to put Joseph in prison, before creation, God had in His plan for 9/11 to happen, and before Creation God planned for me to be His child and a pastor. Wow! I know this will bring up many other questions about free will and choice but as a child of God, His plan and decree put forth by His Sovereignty should bring us great comfort in knowing He has a plan, nothing takes place by chance, and we are in His plan and perfect control. So when the cancer word or natural disaster takes place, in our lives, we can have comfort in knowing God in His decree with His sovereignty has got it covered and we can rest in that.

*Any questions on this see me, email me, call me, or facebook me since this is a lot to digest.*

No comments:

Post a Comment