Thursday, January 15, 2015

Genesis 41-44- What's up Judah again?

Today in the reading we read through the section of the story of Joseph where he gets vaulted from the prison to Pharaoh's right-hand-man to the meeting and testing of his brother's. Chapter 44 is focused on the change now in Judah. When we last saw Judah 2 days ago in chapter 38, he was a sinful pervert who could not control his house or himself.

But God, has done a great work in the life of Judah and now shows the change in Judah's character and compassion for others. Of note is the fact that Judah's speech in 44:18-29 is the longest speech in the Bible by any of Jacob's sons. This speech through Judah, marks the turning point in the relationship of Joseph with his brothers. Judah displays great humility in referring to Joseph as "my lord" 7 times and to himself or the family as "your servants" 12 times. We must remember that it was Judah who had the idea to sell Joseph into slavery and now Benjamin, the "favorite son" was on the cusp of being sold into slavery also. So what does Judah do this time? Judah volunteers to stay in Benjamin's place in slavery. Here is my version of what Judah is saying to Joseph...

"My lord, I know, I did not sin against you by stealing the cup. But this young boy cannot bear the punishment for this offense against you. So please, credit me with this boy's sin, punish me in his stead, impute the offense you have against this boy on me. My lord, please allow me to take his place and serve the punishment for his crime."

Who does that sound like???

No comments:

Post a Comment