Saturday, January 24, 2015

Exodus 18

Today in the Bible reading plan we read the last few chapters leading up to the stop at Mt. Sinai in Exodus 19. In my teaching time tomorrow I will be looking at the narrative from Exodus 16 and talking about God's blessings in our lives and the correct response we need to have to them. So today I want to share a few thoughts on Exodus 18 and another blessing from God and our response.

In Exodus 18 Moses' father-in-law shows up and celebrates with the Hebrew's God's faithfulness and blessings. Jethro then gives Moses some great advice and another blessing from God. Moses up to this point has been leading and judging the people by himself. Jethro realizes that Moses could use some help, so he tells Moses to get some help and find other leaders to serve and judge with him. Moses listens to this great advice and finds other men that are God fearing and trustworthy. This is the first mention in Scripture of a plurality in leadership. Yes Moses is still the liaison between God and the people. Yes Moses still brings the Word of the Lord. Yes Moses is still the first among equals. But now Moses has help and support and other men to lead the people with him.

A plurality in leadership is a great blessing from God. I am a Pastor. I bring the Word of the Lord 50 times a year. Yes I will answer someday and be accountable for the flock under me. But I have experienced and rejoice in this blessing of plurality in leadership first hand. I get the blessing and joy to serve with 3 other God fearing trustworthy men. I have the privilege to cry with them, pray with them, serve others with them, rejoice with them, and lead with them. Having these other men serve along side with me as my equals has give me accountability and friendship. These 3 men love me and serve me in ways that I could never anticipate. Having others walk alongside me in this journey, just like Moses had his other leaders, has proved to be a blessing beyond words. And now I have the responsibility to use them in leadership and listen to their advice. God has blessed in giving other leaders and now I get the chance to respond in trusting the other leaders and listen to their advice.

To my dear friends and fellow Elders, I thank you for your love, support, encouragement, and accountability. To all others, this plurality in leadership is God designed and there for our benefit, are you using others in your life or are you doing things on your own by yourself being a lone wolf? God has designed us to live in community with others, whether they are fellow leaders or members of our faith family.

No comments:

Post a Comment