Sunday, January 4, 2015

Genesis 10-11

These thoughts come courtesy of my beloved. I have never let her thoughts in my blog so today is a great day to start. These thoughts come from our daily Bible reading.

How many times have you read the story of the Tower of Babel? Or heard it told? I cannot even count how many times I have and yet, I learn new things in each reading. God gives me new insights. The people came together to build a tower to the Heavens, to prove themselves best. And God, in his wisdom scattered them, giving them different languages…..humbled them.

How often have you heard that famous little colloquialism, “God helps those who help themselves.” You won’t find that in the Bible because it’s not there.  But how often do we act as though it’s true? Trying our hardest to work our way into God’s favor, doing good works, we act like those in Babel, believing that through our hard work, we can build our way to God.  I’m so thankful that this isn’t the case. God offers me grace and forgiveness and all that he requires of me is to ask. To humble my heart and admit my wrong doing. To admit I am weak, a sinner. I needed this reminder today and most days; that although I’m going to mess up, God still loves me and desires me in his presence, not through my own work but through belief in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment