Monday, February 17, 2014

Should I get paid to blog?

This is a question that I have been thinking about for a few weeks now. Most of the blogs I read have advertisements on the webpage that usually relate to or are connected to the person writing the blog or the web address that the blog is on. With the thought that some day God might call me into ministry and the need for more income, even if it is a small amount, might be helpful to my family and ministry. I want to lay out a few arguments for each side and maybe as others read this they also can shed some light on this tension I am having, even though it is small. For advertising or against it, is the question.

For-Writing takes time. When I am writing one of these blogs I might spend anywhere from 10 minutes to sometimes 45 minutes. That means that yes I am doing something I enjoy and have a desire and passion to do but I am also taking away time from others things that I might be able to do. When I am writing this right now I could be spending some alone time with my wife, I could be reading my Bible or a good spiritual book, or I could be working on class work. So when I write this blog it is definitely a time commitment.

Against- But I am writing for fun and enjoyment and out of a desire to expose the things God is teaching and showing me. This means that even though there is a time commitment and there are things I could also be doing, writing is something that is important to me and is definitely a way that I can steward a gift and (maybe) talent in my life to His glory. When I am writing my blog and jotting down my thoughts for enjoyment it is like playing in a sport, or riding my bike, or any of a list of activities that I do just for fun and never get paid to do.

For- Others benefit from the writing I do and God given knowledge I have been given through the Bible. writing this blog is also like writing a book, which some book writers have done by turning some of there blogs into a book. Writing this blog is also like a teaching time that a speak, who gets paid, uses his time for. So God has given me knowledge and talent that others can benefit from and as Paul reminds us, we should not muzzle an ox as it treads out the grain. This means, and I truly believe it, a Pastor should get paid for his service and poured out knowledge in the church. And this blog could fall under that category.

Against- But you are not a professional and have much still to learn. This point is very valid. I am no John Piper, Matt Chandler, Tim Keller, or even Randy Pelton. I am not a true Pastor yet and just another member of laity. I am not person special in the church on a broad scale and have studied many years to gain my understanding. My writing has even exposed some of the false understanding that I have and through my writing I have even discovered areas that I need much growth in. Getting paid to write would put me in a position and give me a power that I do not deserve and have many years to grow into.

For- But my family could use the extra support as I raise 4 children to love God and the church. I am looking to follow where God leads me and that could possibly into full-time ministry for God in His church. This means that I will never have a large income and could always use extra opportunities from God at making extra money to support and raise my family. I want my children to grow to love the church as much as I do and not dislike the church because they always had to sacrifice fun times in life for the church. Getting paid to write in the future and even now would give me some extra cash to help raise my children to love God and His church.

Against- But writing a blog is not truly a job that requires a set schedule with people to serve. This means that I could stop blogging when ever it become s a burden or a distraction for my family and in my life. Again this relates my blog to playing a sport, like my indoor soccer years which I gave up because of family life. So why should I get paid for something that can come and go in my life and something I could pick and write for awhile and then let sit and come back to weeks later. Blog has become more of a hobby and an activity that I do unlike a job, so why should a hobby get someone paid?

I am not sure what the verdict is and I know that even writing about it, will not solve the small dilemma in my life. My ultimate goal though through all of this is that God be glorified and Jesus be shown in my writing of this blog, whether I make a few extra dollars or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment