Sunday, February 9, 2014

Be My Valentine #1

We are less than a week away from Valentine's Day so I wanted to write a few posts, 6 to be exact, about what is required of a husband in marriage. Gentlemen, these next 6 posts are for you, read them because every word I am going to write I am not only writing for others but I am also writing them to myself as a reminder and a challenge to what it means to be a Godly man, husband, friend, and lover to my beloved. And ladies if you read this, get your husbands to read it too and then talk about whether he is doing his job in light of the Bible and role model of Jesus. So here's my first post:

Proverbs 5 states,

For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil; but in the end she is bitter as gall, sharp as a double-edged sword. Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well. Should your springs overflow in the streets, your streams of water in the public squares? Let them be yours alone, never to be shared with strangers. May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer— may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love. Why be captivated, my son, by an adulteress? Why embrace the bosom of another man’s wife?

So what do these verses have to do with being a Godly husband and man to your wife?

First these verses tell us that our wife is to be our only women in everything there is. This means that we are not to look at, wonder about, lust after, or deeply friend another women outside of our marriage covenant. We as husbands made a covenant with our wives before God so we better keep that covenant with our eyes, minds, mouths, hearts, and souls. We are united with our better halves which means they are ours and we are theirs with everything we are. This means we are not to look at another women, talk deeply and intimately with another women and any relationship with have with another women our wives had better know about and approve of.

The second thing these verses teach us is that our wives are our standard of beauty. This means, to borrow from another wise man, if your wife is blond, you're into blonds, if your wife is curvy, you are into curvy, if your wife is older, you are into older, if your wife is a good cook and great looking in an apron, you are into good food with a hot apron. Our wives must be the standard with which we find beauty and that is the line. Husbands are to love the way their wives look in the morning at the start of the day, in the night at the end of the day, and in the middle just after the kids have made a mess of her hair. Our wives better be the basis for which we as husband know what beauty is.

A third thing that these verses teach me, is that my wife better be the most pleasurable person to me. This first means that physically I must find the most pleasure in her looks, touch, feel, smell, taste, and everything that will physically bring pleasure to me. But is also means that my beloved must also be the place that I find the most pleasure in my life mentally, emotionally, and spiritually (outside of God, who is always my greatest joy and pleasure and pursuit). She must be the person who can drive my emotions to the highest form. She must be the person that sets my mind ablaze with conversation and thoughts. She must be the person in my life that drives me spiritually, challenges me spiritually, and that I am one with spiritually. My wife must be my greatest joy in this life with all that she is and does with me.

So have we made a true covenant with our wives and have we truly kept this covenant at all levels?

No comments:

Post a Comment