Saturday, November 16, 2013

Transformation

So in preparation for my Discipleship hour class tomorrow I have been thinking about 2 verses that seem to be pulling in the opposite directions. In my class we have been going through the book "ChristianAtheist" by Craig Groeschel. We are focusing on the chapter tomorrow entitled, When you believe in God but don't think you can change. We are going to look at what the Bible says about change or transformation and what it looks like in the person who loves Jesus. This study brought me to 2 verses: 2 Corinthians 3:18 and Philippians 2:12-13.

2 Corinthians 3:18 states, "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit". This verse tells me 3 important truths about the change that can and should take place in my life. First the Holy Spirit brings the conviction into my life. The areas in my life that need changed will be illuminated by the Spirit. Second, the Holy Spirit brings the desires to change into my life. Third, He brings the change into my life. This verse shows me that it is by the power of God that I change and are transformed into a better image of Jesus.

Philippians 2:12-13 States, "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure". The phrase work out your own salvation kinda scares me. This simply means that there is a daily fight to be more and more conformed into the life of salvation. Simply put this is sanctification. Paul is telling the Philippians that they are required to work their change and transformation out for themselves daily. This is the will of God and the verses do conclude with the fact God works in us for His good pleasure. But there is that human responsibility in our transformation.

So there is 2 factors in our transformation, God and us. God changes us by His power for His good will but God also calls us to work out the transformation for ourselves. This is very much a tough question and topic to figure out. Proverbs 2:1-5 I think helps highlight this challenge for us. I will explore this set of verses tomorrow.

But for tonight, take joy and hope in 3 important truths from the set of verse explored earlier.

1) We are required to grow, change, and transform more and more into the image of our Savior Jesus.
2) The Holy Spirit will empower us, guide us, and equip us to that change and growth.
3) If we truly love Jesus we will desire to grow more like Him and play our part in the change and transformation.


No comments:

Post a Comment