Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Heresy

I was listening to a lecture for my Church History class last night. The Professor stated something that has stuck with me all day and I think has made a huge impression on my life for years to come. He stated, "heresy is anything that stands in the way of salvation" Wow, this sentence hit me hard. I had to go back and play it a few times just to make sure I heard what he was saying. I truly believe there is nothing wrong with his statement. And it should hit us as lovers of Jesus hard. 

Here is the Webster’s definition of heresy: An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs, especially dissension from or denial of Roman Catholic dogma by a professed believer or baptized church member.

Here is the definition that I have come up with thanks to my professor. Hersey is anything done or said that gets in the way of the Gospel. In this definition the gospel is the good news of what God through Jesus as done for humans.

Now I will be the first person in the line that says I am not a heretic. But wait for a minute, if a heretic or someone who spreads heresy is someone who stands in the way of the Gospel or the act of Salvation, I need to jump to the front of the line that yells, YES I AM A HERETIC. There I said it and I would hope that after I explain myself others would be willing to admit that they too are heretics sometimes.

So if a heretic or heresy spreader is someone who stands in the way of the Gospel here is a few times or a few ways that I would be included in that group. First, I am a heretic when others who do not know the Gospel do not see it in me and in fact see the opposite in me. There are times in my life when I do not act like Jesus at all. I in fact hurt Jesus by acting negatively and sinful towards others who need to know Jesus. I lie, boast, say arrogant things, say hurtful things, steal with my time, and do other sinful acts in my life around others that do not know Jesus. When I do these acts of sin I am a heretic because I am standing in the way of the Gospel reaching their heart and instead helping to close their heart to the Gospel.


Second, I am a heretic and stand in the way of the Gospel when I do not do something I know I should. There are times in my life when I know what the right thing to do is, or when I know the right and honoring thing to say is but I do not do it. When I do not love my neighbor, when I am not honest and hide the truth, when I do not extend grace and mercy to others in my life and the list could go on, I am a heretic. When I commit sins because I am not doing what is right I am a heretic. I am not necessarily committing a sin on purpose but none the less I am a heretic for standing in the way of the Gospel showing the power in should be bringing in me. 

Now I know this seems very harsh or the use of the wording of heretic is not right. But think about it, the mission that Jesus gave His church and His lovers was to spread His fame, glory, and good news to the whole world. When we as lovers of Jesus are not doing His commands and instead are standing in others way that is as bad as it gets, that is heretical. That should be harsh and give lovers of Jesus great pain. It is heresy to stand in the way of the power and love of Jesus to reach others. 

Tomorrow I will explore 2 more areas and ways that make me a heretic or spreader of heresy. Even now as I type this it still gives me chills down my spine. Lord, please pull this heretic out of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment