Monday, July 7, 2014

Are you going to hell??

So this week we are looking at verses from either Jesus or one of His close followers concerning hell and whether or not we are going to hell. Last night we took a look at a verse from Jesus about one's relationship with others inside the church and how that could send us to hell. Tonight we will be looking at another line from Jesus, also in the Sermon on the Mount, from Matthew about how to escape hell.

Matthew 7:22-23
On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

As a pastor this set of verses scare the pants off me. In this quote from Jesus, He is talking to people who think they deserve Heaven and an eternal life with Jesus because they did things FOR Him. How many times do we find ourselves doing things for Jesus. Let me give you a list that is short but I can name off the top of my head, of things that we do for Jesus; go to church, read our Bibles, pray, give money to church, give money to the poor, tell our co-workers about our churches, listen to Christian radio, watch a sermon on tv, give out Bibles, go on a mission trip, help our neighbors, and the list could go on. Those are things that we can do FOR Jesus and doing those things might get us sent to Hell. Let me say that again, doing things for Jesus like that list might get us sent to hell. We could go to hell but still attend church. We could go to hell and give money to our hurting neighbor. We could go to hell and read our Bible. That verse scares me to death. I could preach sermons every week, counsel ever church member, lead Bible studies; and still go to hell. 

So the question then is how can I do those things and not go to hell? Simply, check your motive. Are you doing those things listed because you love Jesus, delight in Jesus, enjoy Jesus and that is what motivates you? Because if that is the case you know Jesus and He knows you. And you will escape Hell. Doing good because it is the right thing to do will get you sent to hell. Doing good and loving Jesus and doing it because you love Jesus and that is your motivation is how we escape hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment