Sunday, August 3, 2014

Who is a teacher?

A question I have been thinking and praying very much about over the last month is, who is a teacher? Who are the people that are designed to teach in the life of the church? Who are those who are called by God to teach His children? How does the Pastor fit into the role of being a teacher? Who are the teacher's in the life of the church? These are many of the numerous questions I have been thinking and praying through.

The first place to begin I think is to define what a teacher is. I hope this definition that I had much help in coming up with is a great definition of what and who a teacher should be.

"To teach is to come alongside another in the power of the Holy Spirit, to seek an encounter together with the Truth, taking aim to perceive it more clearly, consider it more critically, embrace it more passionately, obey it more faithfully, and embody it with greater integrity".

Matthew 28 I think also gives a great example of who the teacher is supposed to be. Matthew 28 and the great commission is where Jesus commands His followers to go and make disciples, teaching people things that He said and baptizing them in His name. So by this command from Jesus a teacher is someone who makes disciples or as been said many times, someone who multiplies themselves.

So I think a simple answer to the question of who is the teacher, would be everyone that professes to be a lover of Jesus. Everyone who loves Jesus will desire to please Him by teaching others what He said, both inside and outside the church. This is what leads to multiplication and spreading the Gospel. This is what makes someone a teacher in the bottom line. Now I will say there are many levels of being a teacher going up from this simple command of Jesus. But it is the best place to start when asking the question of who is the teacher. The answer should be, I am the teacher and I am teaching others what Jesus said and how He asked us to live if we love Him. But this also will open upo to many more questions, which Lord willing I will try and explore this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment