Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Corporate Worship pt. 2

This is post 2, in a 4 part series, on the seriousness we have in worship and specifically if we are serious about corporate worship, what can we do to take it serious. Like I said yesterday, we are going off the premise that like me, the corporate worship service is one of the most important things in your life as a Christian. Today I want to continue the idea of preparing for Sunday, but not in the way we did yesterday. Yesterday we considered how we set the rest of the week up for Sunday. Today I want to consider how we get prepared each Sunday for what is about to happen in the day ahead of us.

If we are truly serious about the Sunday gathered worship, we must be prepared for the day ahead and get ourselves ready spiritually, emotionally, and even physically for the day. Going to bed early and getting enough sleep is the first thing we must do to prepare for the glorious activities that Sunday will hold. I know that there are those who work or have requirements that effect sleep Saturday. But the rest of us have no excuse and should all be getting our bodies rest and giving it the energy it needs to enjoy and have strength for the worship that is to follow.

Another way to prepare for Sunday on Sunday is preparing our hearts before we even enter the church doors. We need to take the time and effort to do so becasue our soul will be the beneficiary. We need to rise early and spend time reading the Word, praying, and worshiping God privately on a Sunday morning before we get together with the rest of the body. We need to cultivate a spirit of joy on Sunday mornings in our homes. If this is the highlight of our week, then we need to act like it in private as well as public. And this also means our times with our families before we even get to church. Do we talk about the wonderful opportunity ahead with our spouses and children? Do we wake up with excitement and give that same excitement to others in our family? Listening to good worshipful music at home as we eat breakfast or in the car on the way to church is key in getting our soul ready to respond in worship ourselves.

Another way to prepare ahead of time for Sunday worship on Sunday, is making sure we have enough time in getting to church. We can arrive at church early and deal with what needs to be dealt with before any worship or study starts. We can get to church early and read the bulletin thinking through the songs and those me might be able to encourage and pray for. We can get to church early enough so that we might be able to pray in church for those who might also come to church and for those who are on their way to church. Setting our Sunday up for success by being on time and even early is key to being prepared and ready to worship God with our faith family.

Being prepared for Sunday and getting our souls ready for worship on Sunday is key. You know the days that Sunday seems to be more of a struggle because of bad attitudes, tardiness, and sin. Getting prepared before the day begins and then getting prepared as the day unfolds is key to making the corporate worship serious for our life and keeping it as the center of our week and relationship with God. How do you prepare yourself each Sunday for what is about to happen with God that day?

2 comments:

  1. I get excited for Sundays. Yes there are days when the lack of sleep may take a toll on how well I receive the word of God, but even receiving it when I'm tired is better than not receiving it all.

    I also think that doing things with our church family is important. Things like our spring cleanup day, the home fellowship and even the chicken foot night are important. It is because of the chicken foot get together that I have become closer to some of my church family. That was a starting place for me to interact with one of the church members and as a result I now get a hug when I see them. And I think we both look forward to them. But, more importantly I got to know her and some other members of the church family better. I know feel more comfortable talking to them about Gods word. Through their conversations, I have learned some things I never knew. Those conversations lead me to other conversations with people including my wife, which in turn helps me become closer to her as well as closer to god.

    The best part about going to church and attending church functions. The more I do them the more want to do them and the closer I feel to God. If you think about it. The more we meet and talk, work and play as members of Christ's body, the more we ALL glorify God. Truly incredible how he works... I am blessed beyond belief for him opening my eyes that I can see all the wonders he is showing me. I can never be grateful enough or praise him enough for allowing me to see!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with the fact that I can't be at church every Sunday.....this has been an ongoing struggle for me since I went full time. I feel really disconnected to my church family. And the next chicken foot night I'll be working again......I'm not sure what to do about this. I'm not sure how to make it work and please God. In talking with a few people I know I'm not sinning against God because of our situation at the moment....there is nothing i can do, but I still can't help how I feel. A friend of mine at work told me she hates missing church also. She will go to lcbc when she has to work ....which isn't her home church but they have alot of services on Sunday's she can attend..... but by the time I get off on a Sunday, all their services are done and our church doesn't have any either at that time. So what is the answer? What is the answer for someone like me who wants to be there and can't? And to think so many can go and choose not to.....upsets me too.

    Bruce I would love to hear how the Lord brought you back to church.

    ReplyDelete